Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Mail Clutter

You've got a mail spot, don't you? You know, that one spot in the house where the mail you're avoiding piles up until you dread dealing with it? It may be a kitchen counter, the dining table, a foyer or living room table, etc. No matter what your "mail spot" is, it needs to be dealt with. Read over the suggestions below, then set your timer for 15 minutes. Spend that time working on using these tips to clean up the current pile. Then use the tips to develop a mail routine, so you never have a problem "mail spot" again.

Unwanted Ads and Coupons You Won't Use go into Trash or Paper Recycling immediately after entering the house. Unwanted credit card offers and other personally addressed junk mail should go through the paper shredder first.

Ads and Coupons You Might Use go into a small basket or shelf set aside for holding these items, preferably near a favored chair. When you have five or ten minutes of idle time (like when you're watching TV, for example), look over these more closely. If you decide you won't use it, get rid of it. If it's been in the basket long enough to go out of date, get rid of it. If you'll use the coupon, clip it and file it where ever you keep your coupons. If you'll need the ad for reference, set it by the door to grab on your way out to the store.

Bills, Bank Statements, and other important papers go to your desk or paperwork area immediately after entering the house. Our bills not only go to my desk, they get stacked directly on top of my checkbook. I cannot access my checkbook or my calculator without being reminded of these bills. I also have a bill-paying routine, based around our pay schedules. I pay a specific set of bills immediately after each payday, with a reminder checklist tucked into the back of the checkbook so nothing gets forgotten. I rarely pay a bill late.

Personal Correspondence and Other Business go to your desk as well, but should not be mixed in with the bills, as they may need to be dealt with on a different timetable. On the rare occasions I receive mail like this, I lean it against my computer's monitor, so it is "in my face" (though not actually blocking my view of my monitor) whenever I'm at my desk until I deal with it. There's nothing like annoying yourself out of procrastinating.

Adjust these ideas to suit your home and the type of mail you tend to receive. Do whatever works for you, just do something. There's little in life as easily fixed as mail clutter. Spend two minutes sorting the mail as soon as it comes in the door and you'll have a much easier time dealing with the piles... as they'll be small, sorted piles, all ready for you to work on them.

No comments: